Who Is Eligible?

You are eligible to participate in Flexplan benefits, except short-term disability, the first of the month on or after your hire date, whether you are a benefit-eligible new hire or change to a benefits-eligible status. You are eligible for short-term disability coverage after 90 days of active employment. Generally, you are eligible for coverage under the Flexplan if you are a:

  • Full-time colleague - Regularly scheduled (budgeted) to work 72 hours or more per pay period.
  • Part-time colleague: - Regularly scheduled (budgeted) to work between 32 and 71 hours per pay period.

Your Family

You can enroll eligible family members for medical, dental, life and AD&D coverage. Eligible dependents include:

  • Your spouse to whom you are legally married. As a Catholic entity, HSHS understands marriage as designed by God to be between one man and one woman, but is providing benefits under protest to spouses as defined and as required by the civil law.
  • Dependent children up to age 26.
  • Unmarried dependent child of any age who has a physical or mental disability and is incapable of self-sustaining employment, as long as the disability begins before the child reaches age 26; you must provide proof of the child's disability.

Eligible children include:

  • Your natural born children, stepchildren, adopted children or children in the process of being adopted, children for whom you are legal guardian, and children of a legally-domiciled adult (for medical, dental and vision coverage only).
  • A dependent's child (your grandchild) who lives in your home and is dependent on you for primary support is also eligible; however, when the dependent (your child) reaches the plan’s age limits, the grandchild’s eligibility ends.
Legally-Domiciled Adults (LDAs)
Legally-domiciled adults (LDAs) and any eligible children that live with you may be eligible for coverage under your medical, dental and vision plan.  An LDA is someone with whom you have an ongoing, exclusive and committed romantic relationship similar to marriage or an adult who is your tax dependent who lives with you.  You must submit a notarized Legally Domiciled Adult Affidavit to the HSHS HR Service Center for proof that your LDA meets the HSHS criteria for coverage before coverage can begin.  You will be notified when your LDA's eligibility has been verified.

The plan will honor any Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO) issued by a domestic relations court. QMCSOs should be forwarded to the HSHS HR Service Center.

For more information on eligibility, please view the HSHS Benefits Guide.